Which is boring but a lot of bloggers do this (?????) so here are five things about me and if you want to know more, you can read them after the fold because there are 100 things and that is too many. If you read them all, you'll probably get a better feel about who writes this MotherPie blog...(or maybe not).
100 things about me...
1. Favorite flower: Lily-of-the-Valley
2. Second favorite flower: wild roses
3. Third favorite flower: hollyhocks
4. Fourth favorite flower: peonies
5. I love flowers and rings.
6. Most people know that.
7. Especially my husband.
8. I love geneology and my husband is descended from the real Shakespeare (deVere), the Plantagenets and other various royalty including Ol' King Cole but I didn't know that when I married him.
9. Fifth favorite flower: dandelion --I like to wish on dandelion seed stems.
10. I believe wishes do come true.
11. I have been told I am naive.
12. I know which flowers are edible.
13. I know the French brought dandelions to the US as a vegetable.
15. My husband told the children I was a goat in my previous life.
16. Because I put edible flowers in salads and on top of casseroles.
17. My family doesn't like to eat flowers.
18. My bridge club and book club thought the edible flowers were a nice touch.
19. That was when my children were babies, though.
20. I love cats, especially calico cats.
21. I have a dog, Hallelujah - Hallie for short.
22. My dog smiles.
23. The saddest thing in my life right now is my dog couldn't move to NYC with us.
24. I miss my dog.
25. Family is extremely important to me.
26. I have a husband, three children and tons of photos.
27. I'm proud that my parents' celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this year.
28. I got to name my only sibling (he's 15 years younger).
29. My grandmother named me.
30. I believe you own what you name. My grandmother told me that.
31. She taught me to name all the trees and flowers.
32. She could name all the bones in her body by age four.
33. My grandmother was my best friend and the most influential person in my life.
34. I met my husband on a blind date and fell immediately in love.
35. I still love him and think he's a charming prince of a guy.
36. That is not to say that each day of marriage is blissful.
37. But those are the days you want to remember when things are hard.
38. I am not motivated by money.
39. I am an intellectual snob and am impatient with stupidity.
40. I think roots are very important and you know someone when you've been in their home (my mom says), otherwise they are just an acquaintance so hospitality and community are essential.
41. I grieve because my children don't have roots like I did.
42. Kindness matters.
43. Perseverando is our family motto.
44. When things get really tough I want to run away because...
45. not sure why.
46. A.D.D. Yep.
47. too many passions and interests.
48. never get bored
49. avid reader, love horses
50. wish i had more time to do artsy things
51. I lose myself in my creative ventures
52. I love my friends and have many life-long friends.
53. I think each year is better than the one before.
54. I like getting older.
55. I think wisdom comes with age.
56. I'm proud of my scars and wrinkles.
57. Gee. these things are really boring.
58. I'd rather life be not about me and i haven't edited anything but what I have just written about editing after I finished this.
59. I believe in giving back, in community and in leaving everyplace better because I've been there.
60. I don't like being defined as a mom (hence motherpie) although that is the most defining role I've had.
61. I love my family (did I say that already?)
62. I don't have good short-term memory.
63. Or long-term memory, maybe.
64. I think writing is like bubble gum.
65. I have to write things down to remember them.
66. The writing of them gets the thoughts and things stuck in my brain.
67. I like to chew on ideas and pop things together.
68. Renaissance thinking, theory and philosophy gird my interest in factual matters.
69. I'm extremely visual and my visual memory is acute and well developed.
70. I love learning and love my graduate classes in media studies.
71. It is true that everyone is unique with varying aptitudes and talents.
72. It is also true that finding the good and unique is what one must do.
73. Round pegs go in square holes and that is ok.
74. I am spiritual and private about my religious beliefs.
75. I believe in the power of prayer.
76. I don't like tv, never had one until I was ten and still don't like tv.
77. I like to study media, including tv but think active/participatory media encourages thinking.
78. I don't like passivity.
79. I like circular and whole approaches to things rather than linear constructs and think that most of the matter can be found in the shades of gray.
80. I'm currently interested in the physics of time.
81. And new media theory.
82. I learn by doing.
83. There is so much to learn and so much I don't know.
84. hmmm. I like photography, and play with b/w, photoshop, etc.
85. If there was a fire or tornado, I'd grab my photos and negatives first (after family, natch).
86. I once had a dog that was lifted out of our backyard in a tornado.
87. That dog was never the same again.
88. I believe nothing is perfect and everyone has their own challenges and compassion is a valued trait.
89. I think I'm more yankee and western
90. I'm not southern probably because I like to know which rules you can break and I'm not sugary and have grit and probably gristle, too, and am glad I wasn't a debutante.
91. I'm honest to a fault.
92. Turquoisy-blue is my favorite color.
93. I do not regret falling in love at 19, marrying at 23, having my first child at 26.
94. I loved my career field and still love it.
95. I've had the hardest time being a "corporate wife."
96. I love the mountains of New Mexico, big sky, hiking, horses and hearing birds sing when I wake up.
97. I like sleeping with the windows open.
98. I have dreams that I'm flying. Especially to my grandmother's house.
99. I love history and cultures
100. My husband serenades me and I suck at singing and he tells me to shut up when I do.
If you read all of this, the 101 thing would be that I believe in an attitude of gratitude so thank you for reading this BORING thing. Enough about me. Enough already.
8/1 Update: #100 is generating a lot of off-blog commentary within the family. OK. I took a literary license. It is verboten (honestly) in our family to say "shut up" so the truth is: I am asked not to lend my non-talents where they are not appreciated in a sort-of nice way. The message is still the same! My vocal contributions in the singing realm are definitely NOT appreciated, regardless of the words used. So. I hereby shut myself up on the subject.