Houston, a city that grew because air conditioning made it finally comfortable to be cool and escape mosquitoes, has been a mess. We had dinner this week with Houston friends who came to Colorado and New Mexico and let other friends live in their house. Updates are still coming of people finally getting electricity.
Houston was our home for 11 years and the falling trees caused a mess where we lived. We have been hearing of unreal stories. This live oak boulevard near the museum district is just one example of trees that overhang everything. Lob lolly pine trees are the dominant trees in our area that fell everywhere, as they have shallow roots.
My goddaughter's mom sent me an update of what it has been like living in that hot, hot city without power. It's on the flip.
- Coffee and frozen pizzas can be made on a BBQ grill.
- Hot pockets taste pretty good deep fried on the outdoor cooker!
- My car gets 23.21675 miles per gallon, EXACTLY (you can ask the people in line who helped me push it).
- He who has the biggest generator wins.
- A new method of non-lethal torture -- showers without hot water.
- TV is an addiction and the withdrawal symptoms are painful.
- Flood plain drawings on some mortgage documents were seriously wrong.
- People will get into a line that has already formed without having anyidea what the line is for.
- Hampers were not made to contain such a volume.
- If I had a store that sold only ice, chainsaws, gas and generators...I'd be rich.
- Waterfront property can quickly become someone else's fishing hole.
- Tree service companies are underappreciated.
- MATH 101: 30 days in month, minus 10 days without power equals 30% higher electric bill??
- I can walk a lot farther than I thought.
- Heat makes you be brutally honest!!!!
- You can never have too many gas cans!
- Suddenly you realize you DO have neighbors!
- Neighbors are much more sociable when your trees are being removed fromtheir houses.
- That neighbor who knows how to use a chainsaw is your new best friend.
- What looks acceptable by candlelight in your bathroom will scare you when you look at yourself in the mirror at the office
- Coffee is NOT a luxury - it's a staple! And withdrawal is hell!
- Rather than campfires, you find families huddled about tinybattery-operated televisions to watch The Simpsons.
- Peanut butter and jelly is a perfectly acceptable meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the same day.
- Ice is a form of currency.
- Coming home from work with a pizza and a charged-up laptop so the kids can watch a DVD makes you a hero.
- You run out of things to barbecue after Day 3.
- Hair can dry without a blow dryer, but it may not look the way you planned.
- Baseball caps go with any post-hurricane ensemble.
- You can't train yourself not to flip on light switches when entering a room.
- Lukewarm is the new cold.
- It's easier to ignore a dirty house when you can't see it
- A new opening phrase when seeing someone: 'Got light s yet?'
- Daydreaming consists of thinking about what you will do when the freak'n power comes back on!
- and Finally*****
Ike showed many of us who our true friends are!!!!